Only when you know and understand yourself can you begin to do things that would be more beneficial. Do you know your personality type? If not, you should go find out. Why is this important? It allows you to know what your strengths are and where you can best utilize your time. More importantly it shows you your weaknesses and places where it might be constructive to outsource tasks.
Next, once you understand yourself, you can control yourself and dedicate time into understanding another person. People are complex and sadly there is no singular answer that applies to every person.
What Makes a good Leader?
- Self awareness – ability to recognize moods emotions and drives and how it impacts others – if you’re self aware you’ll have self deprecating humor. You’ll have greater self confidence. You’ll have a realistic view of yourself.
- Self regulation – ability to control or redirect impulses and moods. To control your emotions and think before acting. If you’re strong in this you’ll display trustworthiness and integrity because you’re not all over the map. You’ll also be more comfortable with uncertainty and open to change.
- Motivation – A passion to work for reason beyond money and status. Goals and persistence. The following qualities will show, strong drive to achieve, optimistic in the face of failure and you’ll have a strong organizational commitment.
- Empathy – Being able to understand emotions of others and treating others emotions accordingly. You’ll be very service oriented with your clients and customers. You’ll have very strong cross cultural sensitivity. And you’ll be an expert in building and retaining talent.
- Social Skills – Building relationships, networks and rapport with people. If you have social skills, you are an expert in building and leading teams and in persuasiveness.
Know your own personality and traits so you know where you excel and where you need improvement on.